IMPORTANT NOTE: These are significantly more involved than some of Hanna's other checkers. They are likely the most accurate Nitrate testers for the aquarium hobby, but they can be cumbersome. There are many additional steps, they require more supplies, and take a lot longer to perform a test(especially if your Nitrates are above 5ppm). If you are looking for the most accurate measurement these are probably your best bet, but if you want quick and easy results(and you are less concerned with accuracy and resolution) there are other options.
The HI781 Marine Nitrate Low Range Colorimeter is designed to accurately determine low range nitrate levels in saltwater aquariums and marine applications. With a digital read out, there is no more struggling to determine colors visually.
- Range: 0.00 to 5.00 ppm (as NO3–) [0.0 to 50.0 ppm (calculated) using dilution]
- Built-in timer so you don't miss a step.
- Saltwater Compatible
The HI781 Checker®HC (Handheld Colorimeter) is a simple, accurate, and cost-effective way to measure nitrate from 0.00 to 5.00 ppm (as NO3–) in your saltwater aquarium. For samples containing 5.0 to 50.0 ppm nitrate, follow the approved dilution procedure.
Nitrate is a by-product of the Nitrogen cycle. Excessive amounts of nitrates in a reef aquarium can promote the growth of undesirable organisms including algae and dinoflagellates while insufficient amounts can lead to starvation in which SPS and other corals will show signs including the loss of color and paleness.
The HI781 Nitrate Checker HC is a handheld colorimeter that uses the Beer-Lambert principle to determine the concentration of nitrate colorimetrically. The HI781 is designed specifically to measure low levels of nitrate in a saltwater aquarium.
Hanna Nitrate Checker Features:
- For use with saltwater samples.
- More accurate than chemical test kits.
- Dedicated to a single parameter.
- Small size, big convenience.
- No errors with a digital readout.
- Ideal for aquariums and marine biology applications.
- For samples containing 5-50 ppm nitrate, follow the dilution procedure.